Important improvements!

Hello, ladies and gentlenerds.
As a new visitor of this forum, I would like to tell you about what sucks the most playing Big Bang Racing.

#1: Undo-function
What the game needs the most, is an undo-button for the level editor. How many times you have moved parts, that you positioned perfectly before by accident? Or working with the wrong material or hit erase mode instead of paint? I had so much moments of just trying to move over the map, hitting and moving important level parts by accident. Or turning tiles instead of moving them. Why there is no undo function after all? It must not have a five or ten level undo memory... would be great, though... but a single undo/redo would save many players from getting angry.

#2: 45° cycling
While editing, most difficult thing is to turn things into the right direction free handed. Many players are just putting things as they may fit, but there are a lot players around working with perfection (or at least close to). That includes putting fans or spikes or concrete in 0°, 45°, 90° or 135°, which is hard to handle free handed. Especially while working with those quarterpipe concrete ramps, putting loops or rings together. That is really tricky. All you need to do is simply add two arrows, to turn the tiles clockwise or counterclockwise in 45° steps. Thinking about it... a lock-button might be great, so tiles which are placed perfectly won't be changed by accident anymore.

Writing this... maybe it is wise to just add a pro-edit button, that includes the new features, so not everybody is forced to use them.

That were the two biggest problems I see till today.

#3 Fair races
Another thing that really get on my nerves is that imbalanced racing system. Last races I've made with my buggy around 200cc, I was competing 300cc and 400cc players, totally losing a few races, forced to give away my racing points. Is it possible to conquer more equal players in racing, instead of being confronted with the big guys? A reroll function for the opponent list, maybe? If I just have to race against the fastest all the time... the fun level decreases rapidly. I stopped racing now, because I don't see any sense in throwing away my racing points.

That it for now.

#4: At the end there is a question, I wasn't able to find an answer to, yet:

While constructing a map, does my ride have the power my real ride got, or are we testing the maps with common vehicles without any tuning? Because... if I made a track with a 200cc buggy, a 64cc buggy might be too slow to handle the track. That might be a reason for getting so much thumbs down for some tracks. If so, there should be an info of the players vehicle power at the moment he made the map, while showing the mapname.

That's it for now. If I come along with any other improvements, I will let you know. ;-)

Hauzuwienix
"Does believing you're the last sane man on the planet make you crazy?"
- Will Smith, iRobot

Comments

• Hi there @Hauzuwienix ! Thank you for your detailed feedback, we really appreciate it!

I'll go through your feedback piece by piece and try to explain the best I can what is our development team's view on these matters!

#1 and #2: Undo & Preset Angles for Editor
    The idea behind the Editor is that we wanted to keep it as simple as possible, with the least amount of functions and buttons. We want the editor to be fun and super easy to use, but still have enough functions so that it is possible to build really complex stuff too.

We have pondered over MANY different additional functions for the editor for over 2 years now, but every time we run into the same problem: If we add one thing, we would have to add some other thing too. If we wanted, we could add molds to create different shapes, different brush sizes/types, editing history, clear all button, locks, lasso/selection tools and maaany other things that could be useful for hardcore editors... And soon we would have Photoshop in our hands, instead of an editor that anyone can pick up and learn how to use in seconds :open_mouth: Do you see where I'm getting at? :)

BUT, this being said, we are open to ideas and suggestions. We will take each suggestion into consideration, and see if it could indeed be super useful for the editor without adding too much complexity. Personally I really like the idea for the lock button for items, and I will pass it on to our designers! :)

#3: Unfair Matchmaking
    Actually, we have made some recent changes to the matchmaking, and it should start offering fairer opponents in Racing now! The algorithms need some time to start working properly, so please wait for couple of weeks and if by then you are still experiencing super unfair opponents, please contact our Support, thanks! :)

#4: Passing Levels
    Don't worry! We only offer your levels to players who have equal or lower CC than you had when you created the level :) This way we make sure that all players are able to pass the level. Of course if you find a level by searching or just clicking a link here on the forum for example, we can't promise that you are able to pass. But all levels that you get in Good or Bad, in Racing or on the Adventure path are levels that you should be able to pass.

I hope I was able to answer all your feedback and questions! :) Please let me know if you have more ideas or questions. Cheers!
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks for the response.

As I said, doing two editing modes would be the perfect solution. Easy mode as it is now, but also a pro editor, choosable after map size and game mode.

Sure, you could add tons of tools to an editor an make it as complex as Photoshop, which I love. But I was talking about elementary addons which are really helpful and at least some kind of necessary. Up front: the undo function, you totally ignored on your feedback. :-P

Ever made a perfect circle of Ice, surrounded by metal, then erasing the ice to have a perfect loop, then by accident deleted a part of the loop, because the tablet slip away or your cat jumps onto you? There are at least 50 such situations I remember that really made me angry because there was no undo function. Deleted my first full-auto level, with fan-cannon at the start, cuz I moved the bike by accident after I was finished with the track, doing the decoration. Tryed hard, but didn't found the right spot again to make the level work. Was really pissed and deleted it completely after hours of creating. I am not patient enough for such setbacks. -.-

I know, I am just a small user of 36 years and 30 years of gaming experience... so my word mean nothing. But I would love and appreciate if you talk about that undo-function with your team. Everybody will love it. ♡

Edit: If you don't want that pro editor for everybody, make it a buyable addon. If someone needs or want it, let him buy it. I would buy it. I don't care as long as I can work much more efficient and professional on the maps. ;)
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • edited October 2016
    OH!!! There is another great idea that came up a few days ago for much more appealing surroundings on the map. Do you remember the game Terraria? There you are able to craft backscreen walls to let rooms really look like rooms. THAT would be a huge invention to the game to make it look a bit more realistic. No more flying rocks, finally real caves and rooms. Would be awesome!

Ever thought about day and night levels? ;) I guess you have.
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • Hi @Hauzuwienix Your word means a lot to us, as does all player feedback :) We really want to take feedback into account when making updates for our games.

About undo button: Yea, I can imagine the frustration. I will pass on the feedback, and maybe at some point we can make it reality! The sad part is that currently we are a small team with limited staff and resources, and currently all our developers have their hands full with other planned updates. We'll see when making changes to the editor could fit into our schedule, but for now we are focusing on adding new cool features :)

Also, the back screen walls and new backgrounds are something we have been talking about for over a year already too, but for the same resource and time related reasons we haven't gotten to them yet. I think we will have a proper meeting about how to improve the editor in the future, and try to schedule both new features, possible premium features and new items/decorations to be added :) But I can't promise any specific time, or if these things can be added at all. I hope you understand! We are doing the best we can with the team that we have to make the game awesome for you guys, and your feedback definitely helps us when designing new features :)

• Yeah. I am sure that any idea I come up with, your team already had a long time ago. But even if my ideas shared with you will not be realized, I must say that your kind response to the players feedback really makes the whole team more loveable. So the game getting much more loveable as well. ^^ Ignoring the players thoughts and experiences, problems and success is really bad for everybody. I like your support. Keep up the good work, fellas. ;)
    Thanks for the response.
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • edited November 2016
    While I like large scope ideas like Hauz', he/she absolutely hit the nail on the head on one thing. Seriously. The ONE improvement that could be made to the game that would far exceed the benefit and prosperity of the game, above anything else, is the undo feature. Forget everything else you're working on guys, integrate undo in editor. It's the games biggest flaw and gameplay improvements outshine things like artwork and hats without question. An undo button would be like throwing a turbo charger on the MAIN mechanism that sustains interest in the game alltogether.. what could be more crucial, right? Let's start with that, then we can think about artwork and goodies and whatever else grand plans we can like to dream about as if you guys had 10,000 people on staff ;p hehe 8)
    Team Trackbuilders: Join our monthly track contest (MTC)
    All are welcome to participate!

We have open slots. Message me for info to join.
    -comp
  • I think the second most crucial feature is a way to set a fixed power/cc for adventure levels!! There are tracks with really interesting and creative and unique sections that some people aren't able to enjoy because of differing power. The editor is awesome and you can do some very impressive and calculated things with it. Those creative levels are what is going to keep the game fresh.

-comp
  • I think some of the ideas in this thread are becoming increasingly essential in my opinion. Perhaps most importantly: an evenly set universal vehicle power in Adventure levels!

A post specifically discussing this one crucial idea you can view here http://forum.bigbangracinggame.com/discussion/334/improving-adventuring-track-design/p1?new=1

-comp
  • Umm, I have two things:
    1: You guys post way too long comments and discussions on my part (with the exception of all Traplight people, because you have to respond!)
    2: That happens sometimes to me, but I'm guessing that it's just luck of the draw.
    Eat My Dust, packid851
    Yes, that is my Big Bang Racing username
  • Umm, I have two things:
    1: You guys post way too long comments and discussions on my part (with the exception of all Traplight people, because you have to respond!)
    2: That happens sometimes to me, but I'm guessing that it's just luck of the draw.

Please don't blame us for your lazyness to read all our content. Thank you. =-)
    Nobody forces you to read our threads. ;-)
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • @packid851bbr It's true what @Hauzuwienix said :O It is ok to post long threads or comments here. Those who want to talk about some subject in detail are definitely allowed to do so here! :) If you are interested about the subject you should take the time to read what others have already posted, or if you are not interested, just leave others to their chat and move on to new threads/topics instead :) Thanks!
  • Me and my big mouth.
    Eat My Dust, packid851
  • edited February 2
    And yet, there are a lot more improvements to make, beside the ones we already miss every day. ^^ I got another big improvement to tell you guys, that will save a lot of time and a lot of time, too.

Buying items in creation mode kills me!!!

"Hello item shop. I need 30 fans, 20 treadmills and about 30 explosive barrels, please."
    "Greetings player. You want to buy 1 fan?"
    "Uhm... yes, please."
    "Sold!"
    "Thanks... what about..."
    "You want to buy 1 fan?"
    "... of course."
    "Sold!"
    "Okay. Great. But I need..."
    "You want to buy 1 fan?"
    "Yeeeees..."
    "Sold!"
    "Great. But can't I just buy all fans together?"
    "You want to buy 1 fan?"
    "Yes!!! But I need 30 of them!!!"
    "Sold!"
    " -.- "
    "You want to buy 1 fan?"
    "..."

You get the point? ;-)
    The oldest RPG-Games on this planet already had shops where you are able to set the amount of things you wanna buy.
    For one level I had to buy 99 trees... ONE BY ONE! I don't wanna do this ever again! :,-(
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • Oh my! hahaha

I'm sorry, but i'm laughing so hard, I really just imagined a derpy npc talking back to you in a comic style joke! :D

All jokes aside, this is a very good point. Will let the designers know. :)
    --- Barb

Have a question? Check our FAQ's!
    https://traplightgames.helpshift.com
  • Never had a problem with the fact that i can only buy one item at a time because i buy 1 item then close the shop and use the duplicate button at the item to buy the next one. for me that works great and is not frustrating at all. And a undo button is nice but you can also just be more carefull :) i made loads of tracks and i never really needed a undo button. Someone mentioned this before after a update, that update made it possible to draw without having to push the buttons the whole time. I was soooo happy with that update and it was removed because someone on the forum said he did not like it because he made mistakes with those buttons :( to keeps things short, you cant make everybody happy and sometimes have to think about what we can do ourselfs to improve things without asking for a change. They made that guy happy when they removed those awesome features but i still miss them. I love how easy the editor is and i hope it stays like this :)

Im not saying' dont post your ideas'! Because ideas are always great but sometimes the impact is bigger then people think.
    YO! fucknuts! It's Probing time.
  • @Freakiebeakie - Might be so. But if you read the thread about this paint/erase toggle thing, it wasn't just one person that was unhappy with it. You seem to be the only person who liked it. Developing games is some kind of a democracy... You try to reach the players and make them happy. So you give them a voice to give you feedback. If the mob is happy, don't change athing. If the mob geta unhappy, ask why, let them speak, listen to them. Most people on the forum disliked the toggle function. So it was shut down. If players are unhappy with losing this function, they could've said so on the forum. That's what's it good for.

So you are one person who likes to check every buyed single item. Fine with me. But buying a bunch of items, even when you try to copy them, you gotta check every single buy you make.

Solution found!

I think there are two options how to solve that problem really quick.
    Either let the player set the amount of bought items before he buys, or just take away the "are you sure you wanna buy it, it cost money, though"-screen if I copy non stocked items. Just let it copy and decrease my money for that bought item. Just the cat$hing-sound and a pop up, with "-100G". So I get a feedback on buying things, without being interrupted all the time and don't have to check every single buy with an "ok".

How's that?
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • Barb said:

Oh my! hahaha

I'm sorry, but i'm laughing so hard, I really just imagined a derpy npc talking back to you in a comic style joke! :D

All jokes aside, this is a very good point. Will let the designers know. :)

@Barb - So you gotta good sense of humor. That makes you a lot more likeable and sympathetic. :D
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • i did not say buying one thing at a time is perfect, i said i dont think it is that frustrating that i need a fix for it. You can make the editor insanly complicated if every little thing has to be changed because someone does not like it. And that was the same with the toggle. It was ingame real short and people did not give it a real try. It felt like ohh i cant get used to it so remove it. not having to keep pushing buttons felt much better when drawing.

Angry mobs are usually not right :)

• @Freakiebeakie: It would've been an usable function for some people, if the toggle could be toggled. If I am forced to use and life with that function, that suddenly appeared, and it brakes down my usual editing tempo to the ground, cuz I speeded my tempo up to the max, based on the editors possibilities... then I have to dislike it! You might have been very happy with that toggle function, if it were switchable/selectable for those who wanted/needed it.
    Most of us wasn't ready for such a change.
    It is easy to say "Life with it!" or "Deal with it!" ... remember this if someday someone will throw a stick into your wheels while you are riding your bike. Then try to deal with it! ;)
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • edited February 14
    @Hauzuwienix and @Freakiebeakie I totally get both of your point of views on the toggle and the buying things. We try to make our development decisions based on our own feeling of how things have went and also heavily based on player feedback.

The toggle button for example seemed to cause more annoyance than happiness, so we saw that there was no need to keep it in the game. We don't want to force players to learn something new just for the sake of learning things, if it really doesn't improve their game experience in any way. It is true that if we had had toggle buttons in the editor since the game was launched, people would oppose to changing them to push down :) That's just the way people work, hehe.

And as either toggle or push down doesn't provide any significant advantage over the other (it's more of a preference question), we didn't want to force the new way of doing things to anyone. How it shouldbe done, is to add an option in the Settings to choose either push down OR toggle, but unfortunately we haven't had time to do that yet.

About the editor shop: YES, we agree that it is sometimes really frustrating to buy a bunch of items with the current system. We have talked about making some sort of changes to it, but haven't gotten around to deciding the final version how it would be done. It's good to know that it doesn't frustrate many players as much as it potentially could (hehe), but we are still aware of the little problem there, and want to improve it. But once again I have to apologise and tell that we have currently limited staff working on Big Bang Racing, so that puts some boundaries on what we can add to the game and in what timeframe :/

BUT, this being said, we are writing down all feedback, and we are looking at your comments when designing new updates and also when we are designing new games! Your feedback means the WORLD to us, so please don't be discouraged even if something you have requested didn't make it to the game, or if it takes a long time to be added :)

• Hey there. Keeping up my thread here I would like to thank you Big Bangies and all the players for bringing your opinions and ideas into here. Who are we to blame anybody of your team to not invent our ideas we have a.s.a.p. You've said often enough, that your team of devs is pretty small, so we are glad if anything is updatedm no matter when. Most important is, that you keep the game running. ;)

But... and that's what this thread is for, there are another things to mention and/or to discuss:

#1 - extra chat window
    I am one of the most active guys in the game lately. I am playing during my work, while the machines are running, during my break, and in the evening while my girl is watching her "I HAVE TO SEE THIS!!!"-sitcoms. -.- Damn! I am playing while on the ceramic as well. ^^

But every now and then, there is no time to play, cuz life has it's tasks you have to take care of. Like I was on a city travel vacation with my girl in Hamburg, for 3 days, visiting all the great places making photos and visit the musical of "The Lion King", she always dreamed of.

As I finally found some time to start BigBang again, I've got 106 unread chat messages. O.O
    Problem is, there was no place for all that messages, so I've missed some of latest track uploads from my team. Sometimes when a conversation starts, all the latest tracks disappear.

Q: Is there a chance of getting an additional chat window, where only track uploads are shown? Maybe with the tracks name and the date of upload? Would be great to have an overview on all tracks uploaded in one window, instead of searching thru all members track lists to find the ones that new.

#2 - Vehicles cc in editor mode
    I asked that question on my first post in here, but it seems it wasn't answered yet. After my latest creations and expecially after uploading my biggest track, so far, I am still wondering about the cc we are editing and testing tracks right now. I've made my track and designed it for the cc I am testing and editing, believing that it must be my original cc I've reached. After dozens and dozens of test runs, I finally uploaded and test drived again, and now it seems I am running the track at double speed, hitting walls and ceilings, missings ramps... so...
    What cc do the vehicles have during editor mode? Why aren't they equal to the vehicles power we actual own?
    Problem is, that more and more trackbuilders are losing their fun in making tracks, cuz they just won't work as they've been planned and created. Over all other aspects and updates, that should be your main target, now, or at least pretty soon. I am doing only tiny tracks lately, cuz I don't wanna waste my time on big tracks, that won't work anymore after upload, cuz everybody is way too fast to solve it.

So what is the editors cc then? I have no clue.

Thanks for reading. Keep up the good work. And guys, keep up doing this great tracks. I don't wanna see this game die, because I love it! ♡

Haui
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • edited March 2
    I know how you feel :D

We are hoping to extend the social features of the game. Right now we have a lot of tiny features here and there that we want to add, and we will try to make as many as we can when we have a time opening for those. Right now we have some tech updates that we just HAVE to make, but after those, we hope to finally have the time to add the little tweaks here and there that are so much needed.
    --- Barb

• 551 unread messages o_O holy crap
  • OMG @Barb , Didn't know you speak spanish :D
  • @Freakiebeakie yeah, the team is active :D now I need to check every now and then to keep in the loop :D

@DeJota_CDI Yep :) I am the "official" Spanish speaker of the company :) but some have been studying it for fun :)
    --- Barb

• edited August 15
    To lift my thread up again, I got a current objective to talk about...

One of our new team members posted a really really good auto track, but called it 'DON'T TOUCH 5 ' by 'Kiki ' https://bbr.traplightgames.com/level/59874a011d000049c53fcf53/

For those following her and knowing the first 4 tracks and that these might also be auto tracks it might be obvious... but for me, I thought I have to be much more aware to not touch any deadly obstacles or brush. On 2nd try I've recognized it might be an Auto track.

That's where my idea came up to define an auto track within the editor mode. So, if you decide between adventure, race and auto track, in auto mode there will be no steering buttons nor accelerating or brake. Just a start button. Most auto tracks failing because the player accelerate too much, brakes instead or rotates a bit. It although is really bad to waste space in writing AUTO all the time to define this tracks. There might be a AUTOTRACK stamp on loading screen, so you can still name it as you wish. But getting downvotes by the players own mistakes is a main problem to make them become profitable. Auto tracks seem to be popular enough to let them get a seperate mode, don't you think?

-------------------------------------------

Beside that, I don't know if I ever brought this up officially, or just thought about it. But if you wanna bring racing to the next level, you might think about LAP BASED RACES!
    All you gotta do is using the maps as checkpoints and either create a new goal with a lap counter on it, or make a complete new game mode out of it. This will fire up all those who love to race and compete. And most trackbuilder will allready got itchy fingers to lay their hands on creating lap races! ^^

I like the new updates so far... but I still miss the most wanted feature: UNDO... where are you? ;)
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • To lift my thread up again, I got a current objective to talk about...

One of our new team members posted a really really good auto track, but called it 'DON'T TOUCH 5 ' by 'Kiki ' https://bbr.traplightgames.com/level/59874a011d000049c53fcf53/

For those following her and knowing the first 4 tracks and that these might also be auto tracks it might be obvious... but for me, I thought I have to be much more aware to not touch any deadly obstacles or brush. On 2nd try I've recognized it might be an Auto track.

That's where my idea came up to define an auto track within the editor mode. So, if you decide between adventure, race and auto track, in auto mode there will be no steering buttons nor accelerating or brake. Just a start button. Most auto tracks failing because the player accelerate too much, brakes instead or rotates a bit. It although is really bad to waste space in writing AUTO all the time to define this tracks. There might be a AUTOTRACK stamp on loading screen, so you can still name it as you wish. But getting downvotes by the players own mistakes is a main problem to make them become profitable. Auto tracks seem to be popular enough to let them get a seperate mode, don't you think?

-------------------------------------------

Beside that, I don't know if I ever brought this up officially, or just thought about it. But if you wanna bring racing to the next level, you might think about LAP BASED RACES!
    All you gotta do is using the maps as checkpoints and either create a new goal with a lap counter on it, or make a complete new game mode out of it. This will fire up all those who love to race and compete. And most trackbuilder will allready got itchy fingers to lay their hands on creating lap races! ^^

I like the new updates so far... but I still miss the most wanted feature: UNDO... where are you? ;)

Ok, cool
    Eat My Dust, packid851