Monthly Track Contest (MTC)

edited February 27 in Creation Competitions
I'm posting this because of expressed interest from outside of our team. We run a monthly track contest in our team and we want to invite anyone that's interested to join in on the fun with us :)

The MTC is a for-fun monthly event we do where each month builders build a track according to a specified criteria and/or limitation that we come up with collectively. And, though we aren't using any kind of judging or voting system at the moment, we thought we'd open the contest up to anyone who'd like to participate and use youtube as a platform to showcase some of the great tracks that are being released thanks to the MTC.

It's really simple: build according to the current month's theme, and use "MTC [whatever month it is]" in the title.
We'll keep this thread up to date each month and link tracks and videos here in this post, and right now we're exploring ways to determine winners and honorable mentions so we can keep a records each month.

Again, all are welcome :) And we even have an opportunity to gift rewards to great tracks and builders that are especially worth remark.. which is just fun ;)

All MTC information and records will be accessible through this thread, now and in the future.

Post your tracks here to participate!!

(as well as any MTC parameter suggestions/ideas you have)

- MTC history -

CURRENT MTC: Build an auto track that has a "pet" object that follows you through the track
Include "MTC Feb" in track name

Last Month (MTC Jan): Build a track with one of each item/decor/object and *ONLY* one of each. Goal: be creative

MTC December: Build a very difficult, but not impossible platformer-style track. Goal: Build equally fun as is difficult
Team Trackbuilders: Join our monthly track contest (MTC)
All are welcome to participate!

-comp

Comments

• Can i join you guys

Soy un hombre de dios ~ JR
  • ElChapo said:

Can i join you guys

Hope so... we definately need more creative builders. We got a few really talented guys on board, yet. Awesome design, sick mechanics, beautiful landscapes... you will love to be a part of us. Yet, I don't know if we are opened up or @comp has to invite you. I'll go and check out. Comp is in charge here. ^^
    "Does believing you're the last sane man on the planet make you crazy?"
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • Hehe yea the team permissions aren't very well explained in game, but as I understand it via contact with Traplight: right now we're set to "friends only"... so this means one of our team members must be following you for you to join.

BBR has a kind of strange and unintuitive deployment of a "friends" system... but doing our best with what we've got we've just gone with the "just send us a message via forum/or request by post in the Trackbuilders thread" approach lol (a private message to any of us is preferred ;) )

The reason we are set to "friends only" rather than "open" atm is to keep the team out of the 'random team suggestion' system because the team quickly filled up with random non-participant members, many of which didn't even keep playing the game past 100 tracks on the planet.. so we made a change and right now we have a pretty nice solid core of good folks and we all share the same interest in level design and are on the team specifically for that reason :)

@ElChapo absolutly bud :) If you have a particular interest in building tracks you'd be coming to the right place! What is your in-game name? Mind sending me a PM to request?
    Team Trackbuilders: Join our monthly track contest (MTC)
    All are welcome to participate!

-comp
  • ok man thanks yeah btw im quite creative

• I just click the follow button, follow me and the system will mark us as friends. You then are allowed to join the team. Welcome and have fun!
    YO! fucknuts! It's Probing time.
  • I should be in Trackbuilders,but I'm the leader of my team and we are very comfortable here. I'm friend of 3 members of your team(They follow & I follow),so I can ask you to join,but for this moment I will continue leading my team.
  • You dont have to ask, if you want to join you can simply just join because you are friends with some of the members
  • Hey team and @Traplight
    I was thinking about a cool MTC:
    Learn about 3 Trackbuilders and try to copy their different styles.
    - Freakiebeakie
    - Dominic
    - DeJota CDI
    So there could be 3 winners (1 for each style). It would be open for everyone but, to make it fair, as we (Trackbuilders) are the jury, the winners would be from out of the team. Are you OK with this? Should we make any change or just discard this idea? Could you TrapLight provide some prizes for the winners?
    Waiting for your opinions :)
  • @DeJota_CDI I really love your idea but since it's mainly a Trackbuilders team challenge shouldn't you pick creators that aren't part of the team? Maybe you'll pick up other top builders if you do proper justice to their style. Maybe @nino @numbnuts @noob? Many more but appeal to a broader base. ( didn't mention Lorp cause I think he's happy with his team)
  • Or you can pay tribute to somebody like Bodin- extremely artistic and makes maps like nobody else
  • I like the idea :P would love to see people build tracks i love to create most and then judge them. And i do understand what gdn is saying, who do we have to copy? Do we let others pick for us or do we decide for ourselfs? Would love to try and build a pinball machine like yours :P
  • @Freakiebeakie sounds just great!!

• @Freakiebeakie The idea is that creators must choose one of us and build a level with that specific style.
  • Would love to try and build a pinball machine like yours :P

What pinball machine?

And these ideas sound great! We need @wempu to take a look and tell us her input on it. Right now she is busy, but later on we can discuss about it :)
    --- Barb

Have a question? Check our FAQ's!
    https://traplightgames.helpshift.com
  • I think this sounds like a great idea! I think we should start with one famous creator's style and ask people to copy it. The creator him/herself should be the sole judge of the competition :) Then if the competition is a success, we can have the next famous creator to copy!

I think it would be fun if the creator made a video announcing the competition, and then we could post the video in our social media etc. Only the levels posted on the comments of the video would be in the competition, so it would be easier to keep track on who's participating. We could provide a small prize for the winner :)

You just need to decide among yourselves WHO is the first host of the challenge, and what is the timeline (when will the person post the video, how much time people have to participate etc.)

Let me know what you come up with! We're happy to post about the challenge in our social media and provide the prize as I said :)
  • edited April 7
    i like that idea but since it is team trackbuilders who does the challege this time i think it has to be a member of the team who is copied by everybody. I dont really care who starts the whole thing. And copy the style not a track. Maybe let people record the build also just like in the real creation challenge. Would love to see people try and build a track like my last tribal tattoo track.
    I think lots of people dont realise the amount of work i put into it :P
  • @Barb , i mean this one, unfortunatly it did not work for me but the design is really awesome and it worked for others. @DeJota_CDI really made it look like a nice pinball machine. '[AUTO] Pinball' by 'DeJota CDI' https://bbr.traplightgames.com/level/58b939ed1f0000c5145467c3/
  • i like that idea but since it is team trackbuilders who does the challege this time i think it has to be a member of the team who is copied by everybody. I dont really care who starts the whole thing. And copy the style not a track. Maybe let people record the build also just like in the real creation challenge. Would love to see people try and build a track like my last tribal tattoo track.
    I think lots of people dont realise the amount of work i put into it :P

That's just what I mean, One of us will be copied and he/she will be the only jury. Open for everyone, but the winners can only be from outside the team (Although it's not very fair, even though how impartial we pretend to be).
  • That we cant win is fine by me, im building for fun anyway
  • Ok, so if you like the idea, who wants to be the first one copied?!
  • @DeJota_CDI ME!!! Copy any of mine but i wish i could still get the coins but anything for you dejota ;)

• Let me be the judge!! @wempu

• edited April 8
    I actually propose @Freakiebeakie for the first time, because he's got a very special style so it could make the contest funnier.
  • @DeJota_CDI sounds great if you ever need me just hit me up ,)

• Lets hear wht the others hve to say and if they agree it is fine by me. I will pick one of my tracks as an example then so people know what style it has 2 be. I personally would love to see videos of the build also :) but lers wait what the others have to say first, maybe there are better ideas
  • edited April 9
    @Freakiebeakie can i be in this thing in anyway

• edited April 10
    What I am wondering about is... does everybody really got a recognizable style? Dominic does. He loves to keep his tracks realistic and natural and I totally love that. @comp spends days or weeks to make tracks go smooth, fast and drivable even for other cc vehicles. DeJota is capeable of doing amazing artworks... but beside that, nobody else always put up the same style over and over again. Even @n00b or Lorp Loggins are very unique in their way to make tracks. But I can't see a fix style to copy.

Is it really possible to make a new track and let everybody see "Oh yeah! That's a real Lorp Loggins track!" ? Know what I mean? You can try to copy a Mona Lisa, so there is quite a chance for others to recognize it as some kind of a Mona Lisa, a Mona Lisa remake or a good copy. But is it possible to do a totally new painting and let it be recognized as a "Leonardo da Vinci"-style painting? Ô.ô

Remake a good track of somebody would be hard enough... but imitating someone's unique style on something new, but let it be looking as if it is the track of someone else... I don't wanna be pessimistic, but that seems to be a mission: impossible.

Take me... I don't even have a style you could copy! I am just a sick bored mind making tracks. :p

But beside all my doubts, I vote for @Freakiebeakie as well.

Edit:
    Just to say... if anybody of you try to make a new track and let it look like one of mine... how could I judge it as one, when I don't even know if I would've done that track like this, because I haven't made it myself?! Just wondering... ^^
    "Does believing you're the last sane man on the planet make you crazy?"
    - Will Smith, iRobot
  • Ohh yes, @Hauzuwienix , I understand you. Maybe it wasn't a very good idea. Ok guys then let's think and come up with something new.
  • Yes, that is absolutely true, and also some little things might be kind of a signature way that ones uses to do something, but does that constitute enough to be considered a style? For example, one of the details i can think is how Lorp Loggins does the "bump-stoppers" with the vertical and horizontal concrete pieces.
    --- Barb

Have a question? Check our FAQ's!
    https://traplightgames.helpshift.com
  • Sure, we might think on a contest to get the real potential of all builders in their own style. And souldn't forget we're trying to improve our skills and also the quality of the levels on path with this. We have to do something great... Ideas, guys?