IMPORTANT: Please read the Traplight Community Rules here:
http://forum.bigbangracinggame.com/discussion/682/important-community-rules

[DEV] Season rewards changed to Coins

edited June 14 in General

Hey earthlings!

Starting this season, all rewards given to Teams upon season end are changed from Gems to Coins. Additionally, only Top 10 players (instead of Top 20) inside a Team are eligible for a share of the reward. And finally, the score limits for highest season rewards (outside Top 10 global) have been increased.

Since this is a big change that might heat up some tension, I wanted to take a moment to explain why we are doing this.

——————
Reason 1: Trophy racers need a steady source of Coins

As many of you are aware, the best way to earn lots of Coins is by making popular levels. But since we have a lot of active racers who are not into level creation, it is an increasing problem for those Trophy hunters to come up with Coins to install their high-end upgrades: especially when racers tend to spend all their season reward Gems to refill Nitros instead of converting them to Coins. Since upgrades are the most Coin-consuming element of the game, and upgrades go hand-in-hand with racing, we felt it is unfair that people cannot effectively progress in racing meta without becoming popular level creators. Tournament Coin rewards aided this issue, but it wasn’t enough due to their time-sensitivity and high intensity.

Reason 2: New level queue becomes faster

Whereas it was unfair that only level creators were swimming in Coins, vice versa it was unfair that only Trophy racers were able to effectively earn lots of Gems. If you wanted to create a level full of Chicken buckets, you needed to become a top racer. Since Good or Bad levels now become the main source of extra Gems, it evens out the playing field across creative and competitive sides. The bonus effect of this is getting new levels rated quicker, which has occasionally become painfully long on popular weeks (sometimes it has taken several days for a new level to get its initial ratings.)

Reason 3: Activity becomes rewarded

In a lot of Teams, there were many players in Top 20 who weren’t even logging in to the game, and whatever reward they got went to waste and unused. It’s worth noticing that we are NOT cutting the rewards by half: we are increasing the relative share of Top 10 players! This means that season rewards go where deserved, to the active players who are the fuel of Teams. Additionally, previously the highest season reward (outside global Top 10) was gotten almost automatically as long as the Team had enough 6000 Trophy players: the score limit was now increased so that a Team actually needs to play a bit to get the highest rewards, which we hope will increase activity among Teams.
——————

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this change, hit that reply button! Changes like this can always be scary at first, but I am confident that soon you will see the balance it brings to the game: new levels are rated smoothly, Coins are distributed more evenly across competitive and creative sides, and installing the final upgrades becomes a reality for Trophy racers.

VISUAL BUG: Currently "Claim reward" button displays Coins from final Gem season, although you earned Gems. This is only a visual bug, you still get your Gems!

Comments

• I was literally on here about to ask about all this. One I can understand where u guys are coming from but my main source of income is playing 30-40 adventure levels a day. My biggest problem with the rewards being coins now is that im at 1100cc both vehicles and money will soon be obsolete to me whereas gems will still have many uses such as opening chests and skipping a bad/time consuming level and tournament nitro (which is where I was planning on using all my gems once I reach 1200cc). Is this a permanent change or are you guys testing this out? Cuse I believe u should keep some of the changes like top 10 players get rewards but change it back to around the same/similar number of gems. But u guys are awesome for thinking about the different types of players and trying to even out the playing field.
  • edited June 14

I was literally on here about to ask about all this. One I can understand where u guys are coming from but my main source of income is playing 30-40 adventure levels a day. My biggest problem with the rewards being coins now is that im at 1100cc both vehicles and money will soon be obsolete to me whereas gems will still have many uses such as opening chests and skipping a bad/time consuming level and tournament nitro (which is where I was planning on using all my gems once I reach 1200cc). Is this a permanent change or are you guys testing this out? Cuse I believe u should keep some of the changes like top 10 players get rewards but change it back to around the same/similar number of gems. But u guys are awesome for thinking about the different types of players and trying to even out the playing field.

You are absolutely right that players who have capped their vehicles have very little use for Coins. We are charting out cool new stuff to be introduced where you can use your extra coins to get something of value in return, but I won't go into more details on that for now.

As for whether this is a permanent change: as always with new adjustments, we are closely monitoring the engagement of players (and we read your feedback!) to see if the update has the positive impact that we are looking for. If not, we might revert back, or make other adjustments (such as alternating between coin/gem rewards between seasons, or giving gems to Top 10 teams and coins to others.) But as said, let's see the impact of this first.
  • Nice to see changes being considered and constantly trying to improve things. Best game around in my opinion by some distance.
    Suggestion...Could it not be made up of a combination of coins and gems similar to the weekend tournament rewards?
  • Who ever came up with this idea needs firing.
    While this looks like a good idea on paper, we all need gold it's the only thing I'm waiting on, this will not make more people active. Infact it will do the total opposite.
    Let me explain.
    In our team we have lots of very talented racers, the best on the planet, but the skill gap between those players and the rest of the team is very big. Most of our team members fight to get in the top 20 as they have no chance of getting anywhere near the top 10.
    All you're doing is taking the rewards from the people who are really trying and giving it to the people who are skilled enough already.
    Why should a new comer to the game be punished? Surely it's the smaller cc guys who need the gold the most.
    We have a member in our team who's struggling to get anywhere as she's 400cc and her opponents are in the 600 and 700cc. She some how manages to get 800 trophies a season through pure dumb luck, but that doesn't get her anywhere close to the top 10. Don't you think it's the players like her who need gold to buy the much needed upgrades rather than the people at the top of the group with fully maxed cc cars and bikes? What are they going to spend gold on? They cant even buy nitro with it...
    I normally come around 12 or 13 in my team with about 8500 trophies. I'm happy to get 80 gems for my efforts. But the jump in to the top 10 means I'd have to get well over 9500. I just don't have time for that nor do I have the gold to buy upgrades to do that.
    So now there's just no reason for me to play. And this is not just me who feels this way.
    You've just lost a huge chunk of active players by shunning them of their much needed rewards.
  • I was in a team where I would earn 50 gems every week, which equates to 2500 coins. I now can only get 1500 coins there for losing 1000 every week. How does this help me?
  • What miss y said, I love the challenge in my team of getting in the top 20 for my little bit of the pie, I'm done with racing till the top 20 is rewarded again, I've told the team to boot me for not racing, I've been loyal to this team even when I had a wobble and left for 2 weeks I longed to go back and rejoin the friends I've made there, but this is a deal breaker and I will have to leave the team if I no longer have an achievable goal to aim for.
  • Hey, Miss Y!!!! It's not dumb luck, it's skill!
    Anyway, I agree that this is moronic. You're giving gold to people who don't need it and taking away from the people that do.
    Why should I play if I don't get the much needed rewards? The people you're rewarding are not the people who need upgrades.
    I need upgrades so I can get in to the top 10 but now I'll never get to the top because you're taking away my only means of getting there!
    Don't you see how stupid this is?
    You're giving to the rich by taking from the poor.

Why do you think that the 20% of players with the highest cc and highest upgrades should get all the gold?
    It's the other 80% of us that need the gold and it now looks like we'll never get it.
  • Seppo said:

You are absolutely right that players who have capped their vehicles have very little use for Coins. We are charting out cool new stuff to be introduced where you can use your extra coins to get something of value in return, but I won't go into more details on that for now.

This is a catch all response by someone who didn't think of this HUGE problem before implementing a change.

If they were really thinking of "cool new stuff" to use your coins on then it would have been placed in the game before the change.
    The reason it's not in the game before this change, and the reason they wont talk about it, is because there's nothing planned. It's panic answer.
    They're just saying that as damage limitation.
    They know they've messed up and are now making excuses for why they did it.
  • Lot's of people just quit.
    Congratulations. In trying to get more active players you just lost a whole bunch of them.
    Seriously, who's in charge over there?
    They mainly quit due to the fact they worked hard all week, they logged on this morning and they received nothing.
    Lot's of them feel let down, most feel like you've become untrustworthy.
    I myself feel you've just got greedy. You stop giving out gems to the top 20 people in teams then we have to buy them.
    It has greed written all over it.
    You upset a lot of people, the worst part is you can't even apologise to them as they're no longer here.
  • Sorry, but this change is crazy.

A major change like this should have been announced first, if only to gauge opinion, not just followed out with no fanfare and left for us to discover it on the day.

I see you've addressed the issue of the missing gems - that's great, because that was one of my gripes (I finished in the top 20 and therefore should have had gems)

The main reason I love this game has been messed with now though, and will probably see me leave this game. I'm in a team with a load of amazing racers - they keep me on my toes and ensure that I race as well as I can to get the team finishing first and to better myself. However, most of those that finish in the top 10 in my team, do so because they have pretty much maxed out their vehicles and I am not anywhere near doing this yet. Yeah, the coins are great as awards, but THERE IS NO WAY I CAN FINISH TOP TEN, so may as well not bother, or leave my team to ensure I can finish top ten.

Why should I leave my team though? We are all friends and enjoy racing each other - this feels like bbr are simply attempting to drive a wedge through the successful teams in order to even up the playing field, when actually it should be left how it is and those in other teams should just push harder, like we ALL have to.

We have around 30 players active in our team, but now may as well not bother due to the fact that 20 of us are racing for absolutely nothing.

I ask that you rethink this, because the current situation is rubbish, and will mean I delete this game as a result - maybe you don't mind if I do, as I'm just one person in a cast of thousands, but it makes me sad to think that this game, which is pretty much all I play, is going to no longer be played by me.

I'll give you the chance to respond, and to sort this out, but if nithing is done (and I am ignored) then it's so long everybody, and thanks for the fish.
    paradisoband.com/
  • Bruce said:

as I'm just one person in a cast of thousands, but it makes me sad to think that this game, which is pretty much all I play, is going to no longer be played by me..

Not just one person. There's a good few of us who are not playing anymore and I'm guessing it's not just our team.
    Yes it may look like that here but it's us who are the most vocal... They'll be people quitting who never visit the forums who talk to the devs in game.
    You're not alone @Bruce even if it seems like that.
  • edited June 14
    Thanks for all the feedback, this is exactly why we have these forums! Seems that the reduced amount of season reward winners per Team is generating a lot of mixed feelings. Its sincere purpose was to encourage a healthy competition inside Teams to boost the overall activity, but as the week progresses we will see if we made a wrong assumption there, and can decide the next steps regarding that topic.
    Sukie said:

If they were really thinking of "cool new stuff" to use your coins on then it would have been placed in the game before the change.

We simply cannot implement everything that we'd like simultaneously, otherwise you'd only see 1 update per year. We are always very careful on what upcoming features we talk openly about (especially if their release is not around the corner) as it will easily generate false expectations and disappointments among players.

Lot's of people just quit.
    They mainly quit due to the fact they worked hard all week, they logged on this morning and they received nothing.

This was an unfortunate bug that affected a small amount of teams, and it was fixed a moment ago (their rewards were calculated with the new Top10 formula, although it should've gone through the old Top20 formula). The lost gems have been returned to the players affected, along with a few extra gems and personal apologies.
    kyle said:

I was in a team where I would earn 50 gems every week, which equates to 2500 coins. I now can only get 1500 coins there for losing 1000 every week. How does this help me?

Are you absolutely sure that the amount is still 1500 coins at the end of the season, when your Team has earned more Trophies since the weekly Trophy reset? We tried to match the gem<->coin values as closely as possible, albeit some tiers were rounded up while others rounded down to get an overall 1:1 value with rational numbers.
    Bruce said:

I'll give you the chance to respond, and to sort this out, but if nithing is done (and I am ignored) then it's so long everybody, and thanks for the fish.

Rest assured your response is not being ignored. Our intention is not to break friendships between players or destroy the Team Spirit, we are trying our best to make a great game for all of you. As players and teams all have very different situations (some have lots of active players, others only a few) it can be a challenge to balance and find the best solutions, which is why feedback like yours can greatly help us steer the game to right direction.

Thank you all for the feedback, keep it coming, we appreciate it!
  • u guys are so right. in my opinion everybody should get a reward. this could solve the problem that those who dont get anything leave the team to go to another where they can get...
    thats not a team friendly atmosphere:/
    if u dont want the players who are inactive to get rewards u guys can make just rewards 4 players wich are idk active in the past days:D
    instead u give just the best players a reward:O makes the gap between high and low cc players even bigger:/ and motivates even more to leave the team...
    and in my opinion the rewards in general in the teams which are not in the top is too low:O
    but in coins it looks even more scarry if i just get 1,5k coins every 7days its just nothing... nearly like getting no reward^-^
  • I don't have a problem with the change from gems to coins, but I have a major problem with only rewarding the top 10 in the team. Top 20 was fine - please put it back to that.
    paradisoband.com/
  • edited June 14

Lot's of people just quit.

This was an unfortunate bug that affected a small amount of teams, and it was fixed a moment ago (their rewards were calculated with the new Top10 formula, although it should've gone through the old Top20 formula). The lost gems have been returned to the players affected, along with a few extra gems and personal apologies.

You did't fix it. You gave me 70 gems. I was supposed to get 80. So I actually lost out.
    In fact you gave the other team members 20,000 gems.
    How is giving some top players over 20,000 gems and then giving me 10 less gems than I earned an apology?
  • Sukie said:

We simply cannot implement everything that we'd like simultaneously, otherwise you'd only see 1 update per year. We are always very careful on what upcoming features we talk openly about (especially if their release is not around the corner) as it will easily generate false expectations and disappointments among players.

That's nonsense. What you're doing now is disappointing more players.
    I'd I'd like to see 1 well thought out update than a whole bunch of small, catastrophic ones.
    Talking openly will only result in less mistakes and less work. Doing it they way you are has caused a whole bunch of rethinking, and reversing what you've done.
    If you'd talked to us about it first you wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Seppo said:

You are absolutely right that players who have capped their vehicles have very little use for Coins. We are charting out cool new stuff to be introduced where you can use your extra coins to get something of value in return, but I won't go into more details on that for now..

How about letting use our Big Bang points for that. Or are they going to remain useless?
  • @Seppo @Barb are you able to at least acknowledge that you will be able to make the change back to top 20 rather than top 10.
    Most of the guys in our team are just not going to bother now as they know they won't make top ten and they don't want to leave our team as they like everybody in it.

Personally I don't see the issue with the coins - though it would have been nice to have been informed before the change rather than like this, however it NEEDS to be top 20.

paradisoband.com/
  • Why not reward people in the same way as tournaments - a mixture of gems and gold and maybe chests. That was suggested by @Miss_Yotsuba and Matt today on our team and I think it's a brilliant idea.
    paradisoband.com/
  • Bruce said:

Why not reward people in the same way as tournaments - a mixture of gems and gold and maybe chests. That was suggested by @Miss_Yotsuba and Matt today on our team and I think it's a brilliant idea.

I also suggested a choose your own prize.
    You should be able to choose what your reward is. Either gems, gold, or chests. That way people can pick what's best for them.
    The people with max cc can get the gems they need for nitro, the track builders can get their parts they need for levels by choosing chests, and the lower cc people can collect gold for their upgrades.
    But as this is a good idea, just like copying the tournament reward structure, you wont go for it.

You could also make it a points system so if you come first in the team you get 100 points and 20th you get 10 points. These points can then be exchanged for the chests, gold, or gems.
    But as we have a useless point system in place already that wont happen, either.
  • Twenty replies to this post and it seems that very few people actually give a toss about the changes.
    Either that or they don't think that saying anything would help.

Really disappointed. If you don't like the changes, please speak up. Likewise, if you like the changes speak up too.

For me, I need to see something happening soon - an acknowledgement that the top 10 will change to top 20 would be a start because right now I have no reason to race given I won't get any reward for it.

Speaking of rewards, I'm still waiting for mine com last season. What a waste of time it was racing all this time and slowly building up my upgrades when something like this happens and takes away all of the enjoyment in the game.
    paradisoband.com/
  • It was totally harsh to have players racing all last season with the promise of gems for their hard work shown right on their screen. Then boom! Out of nowhere right at the end of the season those promises disappeared and they received nothing! What made doing it at the very end of a season sound like a good idea?

I realize that we are in the minority of teams but we normally have 45 to 48 active members every season. We have remained #1 global for a few months now. I feel this change is meant to break our team up so that greatness is no longer something to aspire to.

I have much more to say about this and will when I have time.
  • We really do appreciate the effort to constantly keep us engaged and new items in the game, however, you and us have built a great community of racers and I hope you take the time to listen to us with the gems and/or massively increasing the coins or a transfer from coin to gem ability. I would really hate to see lots of people go inactive in this great community.
    Love the game! thanks for building this forum for us to communicate with you.

Ryan
  • @Seppo I like the sound of gems and coins for top 10 and coins for under. This big change definetely has a lot of strong mixed feelings on it. Would hate to see the racing community suddenly die on us
  • edited June 15
    Very good suggestions all around! Giving more autonomy settings to Teams (at least regarding how the reward is spread among Team members) is one good approach to satisfy a wider array of specific needs. The chest system of Tournaments is also one good alternative, as it adds an element of surprise to the mix. Keep the feedback coming, we really appreciate it!

To @Bruce, @gdn, and @Miss_Yotsuba: We will double check your cases and return any unreceived gems of previous season. The rewards were intended to come in the exact form and size as they were displayed in the game whole week, but as said there was a bug that affected some Teams and messed up some of their rewards. My apologies for the inconvenience. If you still haven't received your rewards by the end of the day, please send us a support request and we'll take a deeper look.
  • Guys, I understand your issues and frustrations concerning these changes, but honestly, some of you really have to watch their tonality ... they certainly did not implement these changes to upset the players on purpose.

They tracked the (activity) development of the game, made respective assumptions and gave reason to the changes (as Seppo did above) ... and basically they are not so wrong with it.

The problem is, that the rules applying for the Top10 (or even Top20) Teams are different. Esp. in terms of activity, you don't make it to the Top20 Players in these teams if you are not an active player. And Top10 Players in these teams rather need gems while Top20 Players might rather need coins for upgrades.

Also the increase of the score limits for the teams outside of the Top10 makes sense (even though I suffer from it myself, now getting 4500 coins instead of 100 gems for the 1st place in my team). However, also in those teams (esp. below Top30) there are always 2-3 active players, who should be rewarded for their activity instead of letting rewards go to waste for non-active players in the team.

Anyway, I don’t believe that non-active players will be re-activated by these changes. Judging from my team, the non-active players simply quit with playing the game for any reason but certainly not because of the reward structure.

So here is my suggestion:

For the Top10 (or Top20) Teams:

Reward the Top10 Players with gems as before and reward the P11-P20 Players with coins (they seemingly need for upgrades).

For all teams below Top10 (or Top20):

Only reward the Top10 Players – with coins (ideally with a mix of coins and gems), but don’t let the reward for non-active Top10 Players in these teams go to waste but instead distribute the rewards of these players onto the active Top10 Players of these teams (as an additional reward and also balancing out the increase of the score limits).

Cheers …
  • edited June 15
    > @Crea said:
    > Guys, I understand your issues and frustrations concerning these changes, but honestly, some of you really have to watch their tonality ... they certainly did not implement these changes to upset the players on purpose.

I have to agree with you there sir, I know we the players are the life blood of the game and our opinions matter but yea some ppl got a little too hostile with the devs on this one. Some of that might be due to the fact that some teams didn't get their gem rewards from last season but they are working to fix that for everyone. But to all players with strong or negative feelings, remember this isn't your game and you aren't a dev. But the awesome thing about this game is that it has an amazing dev team that actually listens and responds to us players. Not a lot of games do that. So keep that it mind when ur thinking about postin something aggressive or negative on here. Just be straight forward and polite and the devs will definetely take your concerns and opinions into heavy consideration
  • Sorry doin this on my phone and I couldn't seperate my message from his, my message starts at "I have to agree with u there sir"
  • Seppo said:

@Miss_Yotsuba: We will double check your cases and return any unreceived gems of previous season. The rewards were intended to come in the exact form and size as they were displayed in the game whole week, but as said there was a bug that affected some Teams and messed up some of their rewards. My apologies for the inconvenience. If you still haven't received your rewards by the end of the day, please send us a support request and we'll take a deeper look.

@Seppo
    I'm not sure you're aware but my game bugged out on the end of the tournament, because one of the devs tried fixing a small problem of my game being out of sync with the server and in doing so totally broke my game.
    You caused my game to freeze on path meaning I could not unlock new levels or chests
    Every surprise chest I opened bugged out and I didn't get the contents, I didn't get my tournament reward, and as for my season earnings I should have had 80 gems.
    Now do you see why the 70 gems is not enough?
    You gave other players in our team tens of thousands or gems. Why do we only get 70?

• Hi @Miss_Yotsuba We have answered you in more detail about this subject in the Support chat. Hopefully we can get this sorted out. Thanks.